Saturday, March 10, 2012

Bendaroo Sundaes and Lazy Days


This week has been a little rough on me, physically. I was feeling better last week and I think I did too much. I thought I was taking it easy enough but I obviously wasn't. I paid for it this week with what felt like it must a somewhat of a relapse. It's very frustrating to be someone who has had adrenaline addictions and not used to slowing down and being forced to from a sickness you had as a teen.

I was talking with a family member the other day and she pointed out that I've probably never truly forced myself to really relax and take a break. I contracted mono (the nasty illness that remains dormant in your system for life once having it and decided to reactivate in my body about six months ago) right after my graduation from high school. I had one of the worst cases the doctors had seen and was super-sick for about two months. I took it easy and then moved 22 hours from home to attend college, where I promptly became an individual who studied hard academically, partied hard and became a workaholic to top it off. Perfectionism was also the name of the game.

Fast forward a few years to becoming a workaholic newspaper reporter in a high-stress job working a minimum of 60 hours a week. After I quit my job when I was pregnant with my oldest (due to pregnancy complications), I didn't even truly "do nothing" when I was on two months of strict bedrest due to preterm labor beginning at 28 weeks. I dutifully stayed on my left side those two months ... making phone calls and typing on my laptop while I freelanced some corporate projects. I didn't sleep when the baby slept unless I was ready to pass out from exhaustion.

Did my body ever truly recover from the first case of mono? It seems it's being forced to now. As you can imagine, it's hard for me to "do nothing." I get a burst of energy and feel I'm being lazy and must tackle the mounting pile of laundry, projects that are on the back burner, recipe ideas I've written down ... you get the idea.

Today, I enjoyed the tasty Bendaroossundae my oldest made for me. I enjoyed the beautiful colors my daughter chose to create it. I love the curve of the spoon she made. (We have a lot of Bendaroos projects around our house. She's been perfecting her Bendaroos art for a couple of years now.)


Today, I'm doing nothing. I'm typing this post and getting back in bed. I'm sleeping and watching some shows. Reading some books. (Then I'll make pizza for family movie night, but use frozen pizza crust.) Watch a movie with my family.

I have to learn how to still take it easy when I'm starting to feel better, so I don't overdo it and I can truly recover. I do think these posts about beauty in my day are helping, and I want to continue them.

My girls just started spring break. With the exception of some doctor appointments, we are doing nothing. Nothing. We are reading books, watching movies and lounging. Being lazy. They can play outside and I can take photos. We are sleeping in as late as we want to. We might try out some recipes, but I'm going to try to keep it relaxed.

And eat lots of Bendaroos sundaes.

Find beauty in your weekend, and savor it.

Why I'm sharing this: http://mamameglutenfree.blogspot.com/2012/02/beauty-in-eye-of-beholder.html

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if you remember but when you had mono Doug and I stayed with you, Caitlin and Caleb for a few days while your parents were away. Caleb recited the movie "Cool Runnings" word for word. Funny, how a memory presents itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, I do vaguely remember that! I remember you staying with us - I don't remember Caleb doing that but it doesn't surprise me at all, lol! He loved that movie. I guess I was probably sleeping a lot during that time. :)

      Delete

Have something to say? I love to hear from you and read every comment. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...