Friday, October 7, 2011

Oatmeal Cream Pies


My children have never eaten a Little Debbie oatmeal creme pie. (I don't think they are missing much.) Come to think of it, I really don't think they ever tasted that great to me. They were just a novelty for me - until I was buying food for myself - because they had that creamy filling.

These? These are good.


They came about as an accident the other day when I was trying to come up with a better oatmeal raisin cookie recipe. (This particular recipe was inspired by the one Marjorie Standish provides in Keep Cooking the Maine Way.) These won in the taste department, but failed in the texture department. I wanted a good, stout yet soft, chewy cookie that was much thicker. These came out on the thinner side and are incredibly soft. They are nice and flat, and perfect to make those cream pies with.


I'm still working on getting the oatmeal raisin cookie to a texture perfection I prefer, but these will satisfy in the "incredibly tasty" department for now.



Projected cookie prep time: 15 minutes; Projected bake time: 7-10 minutes; Projected pie prep time: Under 5 minutes
(Printable Recipe)

1 stick unsalted butter
1 stick salted butter
1/2 cup organic pure cane sugar
1 cup packed pure dark brown cane sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. pure vanilla
1 1/2 cups Pamela's bread mix and flour blend (not baking mix)
1 scant tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 cups certified gluten-free rolled oats
1/2 cup raisins (optional)

Filling:
Marshmallow creme or fluff

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream butter, add vanilla.

Gradually add sugar a little at a time, while mixing.

Add egg and beat until light and creamy.

Mix flour together with soda and cinnamon, beat into butter mixture.

Fold in oats, then raisins.

Bake at 350 degrees on ungreased cookie sheets for 7-10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

For pies, spread a spoonful of marshmallow creme or marshmallow fluff onto the bottom of one cooled cookie, and sandwich the bottom of another cookie on top.


Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Last year your chocolate chip cookies allowed me to go gluten free! I could never have done it without them! Looking at this recipe I am really excited to do a oatmeal cookie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelsey! Did you make them - how did you like them?

      Delete

Have something to say? I love to hear from you and read every comment. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...